Life Sciences: MEA Potential Trillion Dollar Market
Middle East and Africa (MEA): Potential Trillion Dollar Market for Pharmaceutical and Medical Technologies Industries.
White Paper prepared for the SpenglerFox Life Sciences Practice Group
Key points to take away from this paper:
- Healthcare expenditure is an important component of GDP on MEA markets that represent a potential spend of 1.1 trillion USD
- Emerging markets such as the Middle East and Africa will represent about 2% of global healthcare spend
- Rebates and discounts cause contention with national healthcare ministries as they boost demand in predominantly publicly-financed markets
- Market entry should be carefully planned with support from proven local / regional partners, optimally using high-growth regional capitals as starting points
- Potential threats to business include restrictions on public spending in healthcare, talent shortages for supply chain management, counterfeit and parallel trade issues.