Chief Accountant (Sandton, South Africa) m/f/d
We are currently inviting applications for a Chief Accountant position that we are recruiting for in Sandton, South Africa.
About our Client
Our client, a US diagnostic, medical device company with a long and successful track record internationally, is looking to strengthen their finance team. The Chief Accountant will be the General Ledger expert who establishes and maintains the general accounting reporting and practices for the organization. In addition she/he compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare and/or review vital journal entries for accurately stated ledgers and financial documents in accordance with regulations ( US GAAP); company policy and internal controls.
About the Role
As the Chief Accountant you will serve as the finance expert and advisor for business-critical projects including go to market strategies, investments, R&D portfolio prioritization, cost analyses. Also the preparation of flux analysis and comment on variances forms part of this role helping the EMEA Finance strategy of Operational Excellence and Continuous improvement in execution.
This role reports into an MEA finance hub and has no direct reports.
- Support monthly close in accordance with US GAAP while ensuring accurate maintenance of statutory financials – this includes working with Corporate Accounting, external accounting firms and external auditors.
- Drives consistent and effective policies and procedures for closing while owning monthly closing process including pre-close review, Manual Journal Entry approval, account reconciliations, account reconciliation audits, company reporting submissions, representation letters and ensures that these are completed on time and to corporate standards.
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of month end close, reporting and forecasting procedures, including supporting schedules and reconciliations, according to monthly close schedule.
- Support the Africa Finance team in implementing Finance policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Serve as finance expert and advisor for business-critical projects including go to market strategies, investments, R&D portfolio prioritization, cost analyses, etc. Shared accountability for P&L of region and the global R&D budget.
- Support the EMEA Finance strategy of Operational Excellence and Continuous improvement in execution.
- Prepare flux analysis and comment on variances.
- Work with external and internal auditors to ensure support is provided to facilitate completion of audit procedures in a timely and efficient manner.
- Responsible for equity grant accounting; payroll booking & related activities, Vat and Tax preparation in liaison with external service providers.
- Fixed Asset accounting.
- Support US GAAP reporting and SOX compliance.
- Participates in and helps drive the use of DBS/Lean Management Tools and continuous improvement within the Finance organization and the business.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of related work experience OR Master’s degree in field with 3 years of related work experience.
- 4+ years of experience in accounting department preferably with Multinational Corporations.
- Certified Accountant registered with relevant professional body.
- Audit firm experience a plus.
- This role is a not an Employment Equity role and gives preference to candidates with disabilities
Knowledge & Skills
- Proficient in English
- SAP order handling experience is a must to quickly be efficient in the role.
- Microsoft Excel sophisticated user a plus.
- Knowledge of US GAAP required.
- Accuracy – Attention to Detail.
- Accepts and embraces a stretch culture environment with a positive can-do attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritise, schedule and complete work to meet deadlines in an environment where interruptions can occur frequently.
- Self-starter and autonomous.
- Consistent past performance with improving process efficiencies and solving problems.