Sales and Marketing Manager (Johannesburg, South Africa)
About the client
The SOUDAL Group (SOUDAL) is the largest independent European manufacturer of sealants, adhesives and polyurethane foams for professional and private users. Based in Turnhout and founded by Vic Swerts in 1966, this Belgian family business has developed into an international player and expert in chemical construction specialties.
The group has 24 production branches on five continents, sales offices in 44 different countries and employs around 3,600 people worldwide. A long-term vision for innovation – with substantial investment in R&D – and adaptations to local market requirements have resulted in the success of the SOUDAL. The company has a strong and growing presence in the Europe, United States, MEA, Asia and Oceania as well as in South Africa.
For more than 50 years, SOUDAL has offered more than just “a product that does the job”. Quality, tailor-made solutions and a premium after-sales service: these are the elements that make the company a real success story. SOUDAL wants to be and remain a market leader in its sector by producing high-quality products and selling these in selected market segments, anywhere in the world. These products are continuously improved. Soudal wants to increase its degree of innovation and develop new fields of activity.
An ambitious and rapidly growing company such as SOUDAL is continuously searching for new people. From 1,200 employees in 2009, SOUDAL has increased its workforce to around 3,600 in the subsequent twelve years.
The familial character within this organization is personified by Vic Swerts, who founded Soudal in 1966 as a sole trader until today uses his motto to engage everyone at the company. His guideline for everyone at Soudal: “Dream, reflect, venture, act and persevere.”
About the career opportunity
To capture the South African market’s growth, SOUDAL is looking to hire a Sales Manager within the building related materials industry. This position is crucial for the continuation of the existing growth track record Soudal has in South Africa.
SOUDAL is seeking to appoint a highly qualified, high-energy sales professional with a minimum of ten years of sales and 3-5 years peoples management experience, having a successful track record in growing sales revenues in the construction related, DIY, wholesale and professional industry. The ideal candidate is an outgoing sales guru who understands how to position technical products in a dynamic and challenging market.
Specifically, the successful candidate will enjoy the opportunity to forge a meaningful long-term career with a rapidly growing international industry leader. Being part of a global international market leader and having the chance to build a brand in South Africa remains a highly unique situation and excellent opportunity for growth-oriented individuals.
An overview of the role’s responsibilities
You will be fully responsible to implement and adjust if needed the sales strategy in South Africa. Soudal manufactures and markets silicones and other sealants, polyurethane foams, adhesives, hybrid polymers, technical aerosols and chemical building products.
The Sales manager will receive an in-depth product training and will report to the Country Manager in South Africa.
- Be a strong, engaging leader that steers, motivate his/her team of 10 sales representatives and the existing customer base.
- Direct follow up of the key accounts and create clear action plans in order to reach the targets.
- Establishes sales objectives by forecasting and developing annual sales quotas for regions and territories.
- Projecting expected sales volume and profit for existing and new products.
- Implements national sales programs by developing field sales action plans.
- Track sales volume, product mix, and selling price by keeping current with supply and demand, changing trends, economic indicators, and competitors.
- Detect opportunities and translate them into a sales plan and approach.
- Define the future product portfolio together with country manager.
- Propose and implement new marketing initiatives.
- Monitor the KPI’s of the sales reps and customers in order to keep the focus and deliver the results.
Our expectations of the ideal candidate
- Strong Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking with a charismatic leader profile.
- Able to Lead, Supervise and Build an adequate team.
- Result-oriented and an ‘achiever’.
- Strong drive showing a lot of energy and enthusiasm who can persist.
- Problem solving to meet deadlines and handling pressure.
- Good analytic view to implement and track KPI’s.
- Fluent in English, local languages are a benefit (Afrikaans, Zulu, …).
- IT fluent.
- Financial awareness to read and interpret a full P&L.
Education & Experience:
- Experience in managing and developing people.
- Degree/diploma in Sales, Marketing or other business development related field.
- More than 10 years of experience in sales, within the building/hardware related materials with a varied sales channels including retail, wholesale and building contractors.
Location of role
Johannesburg, South Africa